Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tanner's Swiss Patisserie, Glen Waverley by Bureaucrat

Tanner's Swiss Patisserie is a bit of an institution in Glen Waverley.  It's been there for at least 25 years.  Despite liking their cakes and savoury treats, I don't go there that often.... mainly because I fear turning into an Oompah Loompah.

Situated in the Blackburn Rd strip of shops, TSP is easily recognisable with its red and white chalet shop front.  Inside it's teeny tiny, with just two small tables (and two more outside). Most of the space is taken up in displaying the delicious treats.  From it's bakery range to the delicious and calorie-packed cakes.

Recently I went there for a treat for moi.  On that day, I got a triple chocolate mousse cake and a strawberry and mango mousse cake as takeaway.


The chocolate mousse cake was decadent - chocolate lovers take note!  The base is a dark chocolate brownie, the middle was a milk chocolate mousse and the top is white chocolate mousse, and it's finished with a generous dusting of cocoa powder.  Despite being a tad sweet for me, I really liked it.  With my cup of earl grey tea, this went down a treat.  The base had a nice texture - firm and packed with chocolate chunks but it still retained a pleasant moisture.  The mousses were smooth and velvety.


The strawberry and mango mousse was also nice.  This wasn't as sweet as the chocolate cake, and I preferred this cake overall.  The strawberry mousse had a fromage frais-y sort of texture... it was kind of airy in texture.  The mango mousse was smooth but the flavour wasn't as strong as I would have liked. The jelly topping was just the way I liked it - not overly gelatinous and chewy.



Overall
A cute little bakery and patisserie shop.  If you're in the area, treat yourself to a slice of cake.  I've also had their savoury treats before - there's a range of various pies and quiches.  The savoury stuff is quite small but very tasty (their 'small' quiches are the size of slightly oversized hor d'ouevre, while their 'large' quiches and pies aren't going to enough for a hungry trucker or tradie... In my view, TSP's pies/quiches are to be served on a pretty plate with some mesclun salad as first course to a gaggle ladies who are doing lunch) . But good things come in small packages.

One time I was there, a person was there collecting a made-to-order croquembouche.  It was so beautiful and magnificent!  I made a mental note to come to TSP if I ever wanted one for myself.

Verdict
Food - 8
Service - 8
Ambiance - 7
Price - 8

Address
Tanner's Swiss Patisserie
232 Blackburn Road
Glen Waverley 3150
Telephone: 9802 7265

Tanner's Swiss Patisserie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...