Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Jumbo Thai, Pyrmont (NSW) by Bureaucrat

Still stomping around Sydney, I wandered around the Pyrmont area in search for lunch.  

In my previous visits to the area, I had spied Jumbo Thai.  It always has a sizeable crowd of office workers and uni students dining there and also getting the bain marie takeaway dishes.

Menu-wise, it’s a sort of upper end of cheap eats.  This was also reflected in the decor – simple with a hint of a design theme.  You place your order at the front, and you can help yourself to bottles of tap water from the fridge.

Soon after, I got a large plate of chicken pad Thai.  I definitely liked the large serving size.  Lots of noodles that didn’t clump together and reasonable amounts of chicken breast meat.  It had a reasonable amount of wok hei – evident by the swirls of steam that escaped as I ate the noodles.  I also liked the nice wedge of lemon and toasted peanuts (I hate it when places skimp on garnishes).  The only neg is that I thought it was a tad saucy for me but that’s just a personal preference.

Verdict
Food – 7.5
Service – 7
Ambience – 7
Price – 7.5

Overall
A simple, no-fuss place for lunch.  I reckon I’ll be back.  It’s always good to know where to get a cheap and tasty meal. 

It may be a little tricky to find, as it’s not obvious from the street level.  JT (and a number of other eateries) is on Union Street which is sort of an underpass.  Regardless of which direction you’re coming from, you’ll need to take the stairs down to find these places.

Address
Jumbo Thai
60 Union Street
Pyrmont  NSW  2009
Telephone:  02 9566 1211

Jumbo Thai on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't mind that place either for a cheap eat near the Sydney Office.

Fil

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...