Friday, August 25, 2017

Hawthorn Common, Hawthorn by Bureaucrat

Brunch with the Log Lady at Hawthorn Common was deliciously gossipy and deliciously yummy. Next door to Hawthorn Common is Axil Coffee Roasters which seems perpetually packed.  We arrived at Hawthorn Common 10am-ish on a Sunday and I was expecting the need to queue up for a table (*groan*) like my previous experience at Axil's.  However, with the place less than half full, we scored a table straightaway.

Hawthorn Common, Hawthorn, baked eggs
The Log Lady ordered the baked eggs which looked pretty tasty.   

Hawthorn Common, Hawthorn, breakfast gnocchi
I'm on a gnocchi jaunt lately so I couldn't resist the breakfast gnocchi.  To say I inhaled this is an understatement.  Lovely, soft and pillowy potato cubes with a very moreish mushroom, cheese and proscuitto sauce.  It was delish!  My only quibble was that the serving size was on a the small side. For the same price (give or take a dollar) the gnocchi I had a The Butler's Pantry was mega and it kept me going until 8pm that night.  I was still feeling a wee bit hungry after the breakfast gnocchi.

Hawthorn Common, Hawthorn, soy chai latte
I also got a soy chai latte which was okay - it wasn't the best I've had - the flavour was a bit muted.  The Log Lady got a few coffees - I noted that when she ordered her second coffee that she asked for it to be stronger as her first one was a tad weak in flavour.  

Verdict

We really liked it
We really liked it.
Mid value
Mid value.

Overall

A nice cafe with some tasty food on offer.  Serving size is on the smaller side - perhaps a reflection of the suburb/location?  The service was, on the whole, friendly and prompt.  However, I couldn't help but over hear the staff making narky comments about the kitchen staff, and we also witnessed the manager having rather heated words with the chef - while this didn't ruin our dining experience it certainly didn't enhance it either.

Find it at

Hawthorn Common
302 Burwood Road
Hawthorn VIC 3122
Phone: (03) 9819 2200

Hawthorn Common Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

2 comments:

Nean said...

Should've read this before our disaster on G'ferrie Rd Sunday. Were deciding between here and another venue - obviously picked the wrong one!😣 Will go here next time

EatAndBeMerryCrew said...

Oh no - There's nothing worse than a bad meal - especially when you're paying good money for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...